We are proud to announce that Aramark has expanded Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) Chain of Custody certification to 16 colleges & universities across the country allowing us to not only source and serve wild-caught seafood that is sustainable and traceable to a certified fishery, but also promote MSC choices through the use of the MSC blue ecolabel.
The Marine Stewardship Council is an international non-profit established to address the problem of unsustainable fishing through its certification and labelling program for sustainable wild-caught seafood.
Using its blue label, the MSC aims to reward the world-class efforts of fisheries certified to its standard and give consumers an easy way to choose seafood that has been caught by fisheries that care for the environment.
When you see the blue MSC label on seafood you know it comes from a fishery that meets a strict standard for sustainability by ensuring:
- The fish stock is healthy
- The impact on the marine ecosystem is minimized
- The fishery is well managed
More than just a promise of sustainability the MSC program also ensures that from Ocean to Plate, seafood can be traced to a certified sustainable source. To carry the blue MSC label certified seafood can only be handled by companies that have MSC Chain of Custody certification. This ensures that MSC labelled seafood comes from a certified sustainable fishery, has been sourced legally and is correctly labelled.
The MSC regularly monitors the supply chain to ensure that the program requirements are being followed correctly.
And because food fraud and mislabelling pose ongoing challenges to our food supply systems, DNA tests of products carrying the MSC label show that 99.6% of products are correctly labelled.
The MSC is proud to partner with Canadian fisheries, distributors, processors retailers and restaurants that are all committed to safeguarding our seafood supplies for this and future generations.
Throughout 2016, Aramark will serve approximately 30,000 pounds of certified seafood at the following colleges and universities, and we expect that volume to grow through the successful promotion of our partnership with the MSC:
- Carleton University (Ottawa, Ontario)
- Concordia University (Montreal, Quebec)
- Dalhousie University (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Durham College/University of Ontario Institute of Technology (Oshawa, Ontario)
- Glendon College (Toronto, Ontario)
- MacEwan University (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Memorial University (St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador)
- Saint Mary’s University (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
- Seneca College (Toronto, Ontario)
- University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta)
- University of BC Okanagan (Kelowna, British Columbia)
- University of Calgary (Calgary, Alberta)
- University of Lethbridge (Lethbridge, Alberta)
- University of Manitoba (Winnipeg, Manitoba)
- Wilfrid Laurier University (Waterloo, Ontario)
- York University (Toronto, Ontario)